James A. Vidmar
Jim Vidmar is a member concentrating on business reorganization cases and debtor/creditor issues. He has significant experience working with businesses in financial distress. He has participated in many business insolvency cases in Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia, including work on behalf of Chapter 11 debtors, trustees in bankruptcy, banks, landlords and creditors’ committees. Mr. Vidmar has represented purchasers of loans and parties in bankruptcy sales. He often represents homebuilders and developers. He has defended many claims against commercial guarantors.
Mr. Vidmar is a past president of the Bankruptcy Bar Association for Maryland and is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute. In 1992, Mr. Vidmar became the first lawyer in Maryland to become board certified in business bankruptcy law by the American Bankruptcy Board of Certification. He has been selected by his peers to be included in the 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 Maryland Super Lawyers and the Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers editions in the category of bankruptcy and creditor/debtor rights and was named a top lawyer in business reorganization by Washingtonian Magazine. He is included in the 2010 and 2011 editions of The Best Lawyers in America.
Mr. Vidmar has also served as a mediator in cases pending before the federal bankruptcy court and the Circuit Court for Montgomery County. He has completed the forty-hour mediation training course sponsored by the Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers.
In re: L-Soft International, Inc. - Debtor's counsel in successful Chapter 11 reorganization of a software developer and distributor.
In re: C. J. Miller, Inc., Miller Asphalt Products, Inc. - Debtors' counsel in successful chapter 11 reorganization of regional road construction and asphalt production business with $50,000,000 in annual sales.
In re: PrimeHealth Corporation - Counsel to receiver (Maryland Insurance Commissioner) in receivership of regional health maintenance organization. Work included the court-approved sale of HMO business and resulted in one-hundred percent payment to unsecured creditors.
In re: Atvantec, Inc. - Counsel to debtor in chapter 11 liquidation of nationally operated computer systems integrator.
In re: ParaGea Communications LLC - Counsel to debtor in sale under chapter 11 of satellite communications device manufacturer.
In re: ERN, LLC - Counsel to debtor in chapter 11 of manufacturer of point-of-sale check coding device. Resulted in assets being sold to debtor's principal.
In re: Megaxess, Inc. - Counsel to debtor in corporate liquidation of software developer.
In re: Van Leer - Counsel to waste handling facility developer in chapter 11.
In re: Hidden Bridge Farm, L.P. - Counsel to debtor in sale of $14,000,000 farm on Maryland's eastern shore pursuant to debtor's plan of reorganization.
In re: Valu Foods, Inc. – Counsel to principal secured lender in liquidation of eighteen-store grocery retailer.
In re: On Tour LLC - Counsel to creditors in involuntary bankruptcy of National Football League licensed entertainment show. Reported at 276 B.R. 407, Bankr. Md (2002).
In re: Four States Christian Mission, Inc. - Counsel to lender in recovery of loan secured by UHF television station.
In re: Gunthers Leasing Transport Inc. - Counsel to regional air-freight trucking firm in chapter 11 reorganization. Debtor's plan was confirmed.
In re: Inphomation Communications Inc. - Counsel to bankruptcy trustee in liquidation of pioneering telephonic advice company known as the "Psychic Friends Network."
In re: Greenbelt Co-op., Inc. - Counsel to debtor in lien dispute. Reported at 124 B.R. 465 (Bankr. D. Md. 1991).
In re: Pleasant Excavating Inc. - Counsel to debtor in chapter 11 of regional earth-moving and road building company. Debtor's plan was approved.
In re: Lake Marlton Limited Partnership - Counsel to debtor in chapter 11 of 2,500 lot residential housing development. Debtor's plan was approved.
In re: Astri Investment, Management & Securities Corporation - Debtor's counsel in dispute regarding newspaper access to bankruptcy proceedings. Reported at 88 B.R. 730 (Bankr. D. Md. 1988).
Areas of Practice
- Bankruptcy and Workouts
Certified Legal Specialties
- Business Bankruptcy Law, Board Certified, American Bankruptcy Board of Certification, 1992
- Maryland, 1980
- District of Columbia
- University of Baltimore School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland
- J.D. - 1980
- University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland
- Bachelor of Arts - 1976
- Contributory Editor, Ginsburg & Martin on Bankruptcy, 4th Ed., 1999
- Moving for Relief from the Automatic Stay, A Guide for Lawyers and Lenders, MICPEL
- "Use Clauses' and the Bankruptcy Code: A Cautionary Tale,", Commercial Leasing Law Journal Newsletters, Volume 17, August, 2004
- "What Litigators Must Know About Bankruptcy" , Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education for Lawyers
- "Sales of Assets Under the Bankruptcy Code", MICPEL, 2009 - Present
- Panelist, "Hot Topics in Claims Resolution", Bankruptcy Bar Association for the District of Maryland, Spring Break Weekend, 2004
- Panelist, "Getting the Chapter 11 Case on the Highway", Bankruptcy Bar Association for the District of Maryland Spring Break Weekend, 2003
- Panelist, "Real Estate Bankruptcies", American Bankruptcy Institute, Views from the Bench 2003, Georgetown University, 2003
- Lecturer, "What Litigators Must Know About Bankruptcy", MICPEL, 2002
- Lecturer, Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education for Lawyers, 1988 - Present
- Adjunct Professor, University of Baltimore School of Law, 1988 - 1990
Honors and Awards
- President, Bankruptcy Bar Association for the District of Maryland, 1999 - 2000
- Member, Board of Directors, Bankruptcy Bar Association for the District of Maryland, 1992 - Present
- Member, University of Baltimore Law School Advisory Council, 2004 - Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Quarterly Newsletter for the Bankruptcy Bar Association of Maryland, Editor, 1990 - 1995
Past Employment Positions
- Linowes and Blocher LLP, Partner, 1990 - 2009
- Gordon, Feinblatt, Rothman, Hoffberger & Hollander, Partner, 1988 - 1990
- Gordon, Feinblatt, Rothman, Hoffberger & Hollander, Associate, 1983 - 1987