James R. Schraf
James Schraf is a member at Yumkas, Vidmar & Sweeney, LLC with over 25 years of legal expertise. Mr. Schraf serves as attorney to insurance carriers and agents as well as providing experienced counsel to business and individual clients with litigation and general legal needs.
Mr. Schraf provides clients with experienced counsel in professional liability litigation related to insurance agents and brokers, insurance coverage issues and representation of insureds of insurance carriers in general liability litigation. He is highly skilled in general litigation for business and individual clients, bankruptcy and insolvency law with a focus on asset collection and representation of Chapter 7 and 11 Trustees.
An experienced, litigation attorney and with expertise in general and insurance litigation, Mr. Schraf has prosecuted and defended lawsuits in State and Federal trial courts in Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia. He has also argued before the appellate courts at the state and federal level. Many of the appellate cases argued are the subject of published opinions.
Mr. Schraf provides his clients with valuable expertise gained from successfully assisting clients in negotiation, formal dispute resolution, and in mediation that has the possibility of resolving some disputes without the need for litigation. Mr. Schraf counsels clients to prudently, cost effectively and responsibly evaluate issues and strengths of their cases; on whether to negotiate, to settle efficiently and cost effectively, to litigate, or to vigorously defend. Mr. Schraf can provide you with experienced legal representation to prosecute simple and complex cases in the State and Federal Courts of Maryland and the District of Columbia.
Areas of Practice
- Insurance Defense
- Bankruptcy Litigation
- General Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Maryland, 1985
- District of Columbia, 1987
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals, 1987
- American University, Washington College of Law, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D. - 1985
- Mount St. Mary's College, Emmitsburg, Maryland
- B.S. (Summa Cum Laude) - 1982
- Major: Accounting
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Maryland State Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Anne Arundel County Bar Association, 2010 - Present
- George Henry Miles Business Honor Society
Past Employment Positions
- Lipshultz & Hone, Chartered, Partner, 1993 - 2004
- Lipshultz & Hone, Chartered, Associate, 1985 - 1993